It's Christmas again ,seems to come around faster every year doesn't it?
Are you looking forward to spending time with family?
Maybe Christmas is not a good time for you and you would prefer it to be over and done with.
Whatever way you feel, make sure you have boundaries in place to mind you and in particular ,your personal energy.
Your personal energy is defined as - the amount of stamina , vigour or "juice" you have to complete a given task or engage in a particular activity.
We all have a certain amount of it each day and just like petrol in your car, your engine has to be topped up regularly too and not feel like you are driving on fumes all the time.
Here are five ways to make sure you don't run out of "juice" over Christmas
1. Limit your time with the people ( including family) that you find the most challenging. I know this is not always easy, but when you notice your mood changing it may be a sign to get up and walk away, end the conversation or talk to someone else. Call it self-preservation or setting a boundary, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
2. Not too much alcohol. I don't know about you , but I don't sleep well when I have had too much alcohol. Once your body doesn't get enough precious sleep, your energy is drained and your battery gets flat, making everything that bit harder. Keep drinking water in between to keep you hydrated. This really works!
3. Find times to get outside. Walk , run, stretch, dance, yoga ,anything to keep yourself from sitting down all the time. Your body is designed to move. it needs to move and keep that energy moving. Plus, you will feel better and you will breathe better!
4. Try and get a bit of quiet time. It's all go during the lead up to Christmas, present buying, food preparation, travel arrangements and finishing up at work. Questions like " Do I have enough? Was I meant to buy them a gift? Where will we all sleep? Will the turkey big enough?" may be constantly in your head. At some stage you have to draw a line in the sand and know that you have done enough . Find some time to really take in everything , get quiet, put the hoover away and leave the washing . You are going to miss all those lovely moments if you don't, especially if Santy is still calling 🎅
5. Tell yourself you are doing enough. Christmas does not have to be perfect and neither do you! Remember good enough is good enough. Gifts will be forgotten and as cliched as it sounds, time you spend with those you love are where the memories are truly made.
There are heaps more I am sure, so share with me if you have another tip that works.
Remember, if you forget to do any of these,you can always start again the following day and even the day after that.
Put those boundaries in place, prioritise yourself , keep a check on your energy and you will have a fabulous Christmas!